Summer Challenge 2015: Growing Myself As a Writer

So for a while now, I have told the teachers that I work with, I am a good writing teacher, but not really a good writer. I know how to move through a writing workshop. I know how to figure out what mini-lessons kids need. I know how to confer with students. I know how to teach them to read like writers and believe in their ideas. I even know how to help teachers feel more empowered as teachers of writing.

But, I still don't feel like a writer. Yes, I can write better than the students I work with, but I am insecure and unconfident as a writer.

So, I've decided to change that. I am committing to writing each day this summer and working through a book called 59 Reasons to Write by Kate Messner. You can link to the book by clicking on it and even preview its pages.


Also, I am joining a free online writing camp called TeachersWrite to build myself as a writer.I would love some folks to join in this challenge if even for a short time this summer. I am going to post some of my writings (although it is scary) and share my learning about who I am as a writer.

I've been writing each day for a week now. It seems to be getting easier. Here are some things that I have learned about myself so far...

1. I am nervous to venture into fiction. It isn't easy for me.
2. I seem to prefer to write poetry.
3. Writing each day is easier than I thought it would be.
4. I find that I actually look forward to writing each day. Imagine that!

So here it is. I'm on a mission to be a writer. What kind? I'm not sure yet, but no matter what, I'll be better than when I started.

Comments

Popular Posts